The Student News Site of Mt. Eden High School

The Monarch Times

The Monarch Times

The Monarch Times

Never Fear, the PAC is Here!

The HUSD Performing Arts Center (Layla Black)

The wait is finally over, the PAC is open! The Performing Arts Center, or PAC, is a building that has been heavily anticipated. This building has been in the works since early 2000; the plans were approved by the school board in February 2016, the funds were approved in 2019, and construction began in 2021 and finished in late 2023. It’s one of the main reasons for the limited parking and construction buzz around campus these last few years. The building is behind the cafeteria in the student parking lot. It includes a 500-seat theater, a lobby, a community room/black box theater, a green room, dressing rooms, a set room, concessions, a ticket booth, and an outside seating area.

The Soft Opening was on Tuesday, February 27, 2024. The event was intended to spotlight what the PAC is capable of. District officials, supporters, the mayor, and those who had worked on this opening. Attendees were introduced to theater manager James Schott, the Visual and Performing Art (VAPA) Team, Lisa Davies, and Heather Figueroa. There was a recognition of dignitaries, including Jason Reimann, HUSD’s Superintendent.

There were performances from Mt.Eden, Hayward High School, and Fairview Elementary. Mt. Eden acts included Wind Ensemble, Orchestra, Theater, and Dance/Stage Left.

The HUSD Performing Arts Center. (Rosalind Wong (Student))

The PAC is on our school property but it is for the enjoyment of all the schools and the community. Upcoming events that will be held there will include not only Mt. Eden performing arts but also other schools and organizations. The grand opening is said to be until early next year. The next big event to be held there is the district festival on March 19th and 20th in 2024. The 19th will be for all orchestras and choirs and the 20th will be for all bands.