The Student News Site of Mt. Eden High School

The Monarch Times

The Monarch Times

The Monarch Times

26th Annual Pride Prom Returns this June

Project Eden
Pride Prom Flyer.

The 26th annual Pride Prom organized by Project Eden and Lambda Youth Project will take place on June 3rd at Chabot College in Hayward. This event has been happening since 1995 and is the longest consecutively running. Pride Prom continues to be an important event that creates awareness and a safe space for LGBTQIA+ youth. Hidie Reed, HUSD Climate TOSA (teacher on special assignment) said that this is such an imporant event because it is an invitation to be a hundred percent yourself. She says, “you’re free to bring your friends who support you or other folks that you know and also have a chance to meet other people that you might not have had a chance to meet because this event is not specific to one high school.”

Robert Lopez, the event coordinator, is passionate about this event because he wants people to know they are supported and cared for. He wants people to know that it is important for young people who are part of the LGBTQIA+ community to claim their own space, where they feel safe to be themselves because in other arenas they can’t be who they are. Pride Prom gives them that one day a year where they are free to express themselves, something they can’t do in other proms. He said, “Because if we look around the US, you know, Florida and other states are banning drag queens, or banning services for trans youth and so it’s important that young people know that we have their backs.”

It is an event open to all under the ages of 20 including allies. It is inclusive and accessible to any youth who are interested in attending. No one is turned away due to lack of funds, and support is provided for any student that considers the price an obstacle in attending. The dress code is formal or semi-formal attire. Any pride accessories such as flags, pronoun pins, and buttons are encouraged. Youth from around the Bay Area will be welcomed on a red carpet by volunteers to start the event. There will be food sales, dancing, LGBTQIA+ service provider booths and drag. In addition, the youth present will elect the prom royals. There are two categories of prom royals: LGBQ and Trans/Nonbinary royals.