The Student News Site of Mt. Eden High School

The Monarch Times

The Monarch Times

The Monarch Times

Serve Monarchs Serve!

Karne Esquivel and Elisandra Hampton
Ducks discuss community service.

Mt. Eden students can participate in developing our society with community service. Multiple areas in Hayward offer community service opportunities, and students who are interested can easily volunteer after school and over weekends. Volunteering at local hospitals, soup kitchens, homeless centers, etc., will earn students community service hours for college applications and benefit the community.  Although it is not common for California public schools to require community service, many charter and private schools require it. UC schools all emphasize community service in their admissions processes, While not mandatory, many students actively participate in volunteer work. 

Volunteering provides opportunities for personal growth and improved mental and physical health. Students can also acquire  skills like leadership, teamwork, communication, and problem-solving. Additionally, volunteering fosters a sense of belonging and shared responsibility. Volunteers also make a tangible difference in the lives of others by offering support, resources, and services. 

UC Berkeley and UCLA may include community service in their admissions process, while USC encourages students through various programs. According to CollegeVine, 58% of college admissions leaders stated that community service positively impacted students’ chances of acceptance. Additionally, 53% believed community service was the deciding factor among equally qualified candidates.

Teenagers’ participation in community service varies by region, time, and initiatives. In the US, 62% of high school students participated in volunteer activities in the 2019-2020 school year. Factors like school requirements, extracurricular opportunities, and individual interests also influence participation. If you or someone you know is interested in volunteering, consider looking into some of the following community service opportunities in Hayward and at Mt. Eden:

South Hayward Parish

At South Hayward Parish, volunteers work on distributing food, providing showers, distributing bagged lunches, bringing meals to people in need, and more. Volunteers man tables to ensure all guests are served while bringing breakfast and dinner to people. This is also a great chance to network. South Hayward Parish has no prerequisites and is accessible to students. Go to 27287 Patrick Avenue in Hayward and/or contact @southhaywardparish.org or (510) 785-3663 if interested.

Hayward Animal Shelter

At Hayward Animal Shelter, volunteers work with many types of animals, clean kennels, wash dishes, do laundry, dog walk, socialize with pets, train animals, and more. Volunteers spend time nurturing stray animals and aiding pets in need. If interested, one must attend a New Volunteer Information Session, which lasts about an hour, to learn how to handle tasks. More details are provided on their main page. Contact [email protected].

Sulphur Creek Nature Center

At Sulphur Creek Nature Center, volunteers care for wildlife and animals, assist naturalists with educational programs, and care for reptiles by managing displays, tending to gardens, etc. There are no prerequisites, but you need to commit for at least a year, with a max. of one day a week for 2-4 hours of volunteering. You also need to attend an orientation and pay a $40 fee. Contact [email protected] or (510) 881-6747 if interested.

Mt. Eden Recycling Club

Mt. Eden’s Recycling Club includes cleanup days on campus and at Hayward parks. Cleanup locations may extend outside of Hayward. The average cleanup day would be about 5 hours of community service for a student and there are no prerequisites to join. As supplies are provided by the school, club activities should be available to all as long as they have time to participate. Interested students can contact Mr. Kennedy or President Angel Barahona.