The Student News Site of Mt. Eden High School

The Monarch Times

The Monarch Times

The Monarch Times

Step it Up!

Starting in January 2023, Mt. Eden started a new Step team. This student-run team is proud of the strides it has made in less than a year. 

“Step is a way many African Americans have shown their love for music and sound through dance moves, throughout many years, shown predominantly in Historically Black Colleges,” said senior Jadyn Edwards, one of the two main captains and a founder of the Step team. “To me, Step team is connected to the BASU club. While we have different objective, we still do our best to increase the learning in our culture and how to expand it,” adds Edwards.  

The Step team encourages people of all shapes, colors, and sizes to join. During practices, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, they come up with choreography. “We are very inclusive in trying to see what everyone’s goals are for Step and when we can’t include everybody’s wants, we put forth what our best can be,” said Edwards. She thinks that no matter what culture you are from, you can express yourself with the Step team.

“The Step team is important to me because it gives an extra outlet for people who may not want to join. We welcome all levels of dance experience,” said Edwards. Beginners or extremely advanced, can’t touch your toes or can do all three splits, are all welcome in this safe dancing space! Passion, dedication and an open mind are the only requirements for joining. At auditions, you’re not tested on how good you dance. You’re tested on how trusting you are of yourself, the captains and the process. 

“Step is an amazing opportunity to share my love of dancing with other people,” said Princess Awambu. When asked for her reasons why people should join, she said, “The joy of showing other people how incredible and talented stepping looks when we come together is the best part.”

“The Monarch Step team is more than just performance. Our students build community and a bond that will forever be remembered,” said advisor Ashley Bell. Bell believes in the Step team: “Anything that has the word ‘student’ is worth the effort and support.” When Bell was asked why she thinks the Step team is important, she said, “High school extracurricular activities provide an opportunity for our students to take on a leadership role that will help them develop different skill-sets such as focus, dedication, and creative thinking.” 

At their Back to School Night performance, the Step team performed and the crowd cheered. When asked for their opinions on the Step team, students mentioned the passion emanating from their performance. Others said they could not wait for future performances from them.