The Student News Site of Mt. Eden High School

The Monarch Times

The Monarch Times

The Monarch Times

Restaurant Review: The Sister’s House Don’t Play Sis

Myldret Vazquez
The Sister House’s seafood pancakes.

A hole-in-the-wall restaurant nuzzled in-between rustic auto repair shops and a bumpy expressway, The Sister’s House is an authentic Korean restaurant, bringing the flavors of Korea straight to the Bay Area. From the rich, savory broths of the soups to the sizzling perfection of the barbecue dishes, The Sister’s House offers a dining experience that is both comforting and exhilarating. The interior of The Sister’s House is compact with tables crowding all sides and the center of the restaurant. The prices on the menu range from $15 to $30 for single and family sized portions. The menu has over 50 items, offering many options for big groups.

The Sister’s House has a small wait staff, but the food is served quite fast for a large group and water refills are frequently given. Out of the many dishes ordered, a few really spoke to The Monarch Times staff. Starting with the appetizers, the seafood pancake is a compilation of squid, scallop, and fish all mixed into a savory pancake batter. After trying the pancake, Co-Editor Sofia Cordoba mentioned its “crisp exterior.” “It’s very nice and soft on the inside,” she said. Secondly, the tteokbokki was definitely one of the specific test items on the menu. The sauce, the rice, and fish cakes were smothered in was so flavorful, while also being wildly spicy.

As for the entrees: the pork belly was cooked to perfection. The typically tough and fatty parts were cut out, leaving you with that melt-in-your-mouth feeling. “So crispy, so flavorful, I love it,” said Editor-in-Chief Kaylyn Nguyen. The crowd agreed that the crispiness of the food was not burnt, making it just right. The Sister’s House does not stop there. Japchae, or “glass noodles,” are noodles made from potato starch and stir-fried with vegetables and sometimes meat. The spices added give the japchae a slightly sweet hint. “It reminds me of brown sugar candy,” said junior Aiden Jiang.

The Sister House’s japchae. (Layla Black)

Overall, The Monarch Times decided on 4.6 of 5 stars for The Sister’s House. The Sister’s House impresses with its steady service and consistently flavorful dishes, even for large groups. Standout items like the crispy seafood pancake and the intensely spicy tteokbokki left a lasting impression, showcasing the restaurant’s dedication to authentic Korean flavors. The to die-for pork belly and the sweet-savory japchae further highlight this Hayward gem. “It was a different kind of flavor I don’t usually have. Coming to this restaurant, trying new stuff […] open[ed] my palate,” said junior Isz Maciel-Surita.

Star Rating: 4.5/5 stars