Emily Tran performs “Our Hope” by Mandy Moore.
Kaylyn Nguyen

Mt. Eden Hosts Annual Talent Show

On April 12, Mt. Eden hosted a talent show consisting of seven acts. The judges of each performance were Steven Elliott, Marie Butler, and Jasmine Maharaj. The winners were Emily Tran, Kael Flores, and Mt. Eden Brass Band respectively. To top off the event, Mt. Eden Leadership students cheerily danced to “We’re All In This Together” from High School Musical. 

Tran, the first place winner, did a cover of “Our Hope” by Mandy Moore. Halfway through Tran’s performance, the background music stopped, but the judges allowed her to redo her song. Despite technical difficulties, Tran persevered and delivered an outstanding performance. Her angelic vocals and soothing song choice captivated the audience. 

Kael Flores performs “Maria” by Hwasa. (Kaylyn Nguyen)

In second place, contestant Kael Flores performed a dance cover of “Maria” by Hwasa. The audience was entranced by his magnetic stage presence and dance skills. “When I was performing and [the audience was] cheering, it really boosted my energy. I [wanted] to give more of myself so I could entertain them more,” he said. After the performance, several audience members asked Flores for autographs. 

Kael Flores signs autographs. (Kaylyn Nguyen)

Finally, Mt. Eden Brass Band in third place performed the song “Sonic Boom.” Ryan Panlilio, a band trumpet player, mentioned that the audience was very supportive. “It felt nice knowing people were having fun with the band,” he commented. “My favorite part of the show was when I got to do a solo. I played a lot of high notes and moving lines that created tension within the song,” Panlilio added. Although it was Panlilio’s first time performing with the brass band, he is an experienced musician and his sense of “stage fright left a while ago.”

Overall, the talent show gave students an opportunity to showcase their skills and express themselves. “[The talent show] was great. It was really hard to choose [a winner],” said Elliott. “I liked how we had a wide variety of acts. We had a couple singers, a dancer, and someone who played the piano, instruments. It was cool to see all the different talents people have,” he added.